Wednesday, June 5, 2013


Mantipede, not the greatest title for a piece that I have ever come up with but for some reason the name has stuck.

Right, this is the piece I did for the Pixologic guys (The creators of Zbrush). The idea was to test all the features of the new version of Zbrush by doing a piece for them.

Strangely I chose to create a half man half centipede character. There was a reason. The Zbrush R5 includes the ability to use inset meshes that could be created in a free form across a surface. So the idea was to take a segment of a centipede and string it out over a curve in the scene. Due to some technical issue it ended up just being the upper segments however you can still see centipedes crawling over the characters skin that use the Curve brush inset mesh feature in R5.

As a side note you can actually find the centipede curve brush in Zbrush itself. If you go to lightbox and open the brushes tab there is a folder called 'BetaTestersBrus', in there is the centipede. You can basically create a plane and drag out the curve and watch your very own centipede appear before your eyes. Have fun.

This image again was created and rendered pretty much entirely in Zbrush.

Hair test and more Zbrush Render tests.

The next piece was created around the time I started testing for Pixologic. Yes I was invited to work alongside the team as a Test Artist, a true honor indeed.

Anyway I wanted to test the hair and BPR render on this image. See how far I could push Zbrush.
Very quick render even with hair. Yes the Skin shader isn't perfect but I was really pleased with the results so far. I need to progress on with this model at some point, now I have seen it again.

Been away to long.

Wow, it has been awhile since I have posted on my Blog but I decided to get back into it and start things going again.

What I thought I would do is basically pick up from where I left off. So although I might post a lot of posts with the same date I will try and keep them in historical order.

So anyway the suit continued to progress to this stage. I used a simple dummy character of a generic male body. I really like the style but there are something like 60 sub tools so it became a nightmare to manage.

Next stage is to retop all of those 60 parts. Should be fun :).

The image and  model were made entirely  in Zbrush, I am glad to say.

Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog